Vlogger eats wrong aloe live - All Access Sporting News
ALLACCESSSPORTINGNEWS

Updated April 1,  4:15 PM  CT

Member


Updated January 3, 2019

Chinese food vlogger eats wrong aloe - nearly dies

“Oh, that’s bitter. That is really bitter,”

  A Chinese woman was live-streaming herself eating what she thought was aloe vera (said to have health benefits when eaten raw) when she suddenly realized something was very wrong. It turns out the 26-year-old, named in the media only as Zhang, was actually eating Agave Americana or "American aloe," a poisonous plant from Mexico.


Zhang was then forced to abandon her live stream and rush to the hospital when her mouth went “numb” and it felt like her throat was on “fire”.  By the time Zhang arrived at the hospital, she had broken out into rashes and blisters, according to the Shanghaiist. Doctors were forced to pump her stomach to remove parts of the poisonous plant to save her life. She recovered just fine.


Easy to be fooled

The aloe vera plant is native to the Caribbean, Latin America, and South Africa. The plant produces a clear, gelatin-like substance that soothes burns and relieves skin conditions such as psoriasis when used topically. Despite its helpful reputation, the aloe vera plant can be toxic in certain circumstances.

👉 Topical Irritant

Just below the outer skin of the aloe vera plant’s leaves is a layer of yellow juice. This juice, also known as the plant’s latex, contains a natural chemical called aloin. Aloin is a type of anthraquinone glycoside, which according to North Carolina State University may irritate your skin if you have an allergy to latex. The skin irritation or allergy associated with latex is known as contact dermatitis, which produces a localized rash.

👉 Ingestion Dangers

The ingestion of aloe juice or latex may irritate the intestines when taken orally. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, aloe vera latex contains powerful laxative properties. Use of the aloin latex as a laxative may result in severe cramping and purging of the intestines. Misuse of aloin may lead to excessive electrolyte loss and has subsequently been banned by the Food and Drug Administration for use in over-the-counter laxative medications as of 2002.

👉 Children and Pets

Always display the aloe vera plant out of the reach of young children and animals. The University of Wisconsin lists aloe vera as a toxic plant and reports that aloe vera latex consumed in large quantities can lead to diarrhea. Serious bouts of diarrhea in young children and animals may result in loss of electrolytes and dehydration. If you suspect the ingestion of aloe vera latex by a young child or animal, it is important to call your local poison control center and seek medical attention immediately.

👉 Solution

When applying aloe vera gel to the skin, don't cut off the tip of a leaf and squeeze out the gel. This practice releases the toxic aloin along with the gel, resulting in irritation. Instead of squeezing, cut the aloe leaf at the base of the plant, slip on a pair of plastic, non-latex gloves and fillet the aloe vera leaf with a sharp knife. Once the aloe vera leaf is opened into two halves, scrape the top layer of clear gel from the leaf using a butter knife. Leave behind the lower layer of gel, closest to the skin. Store the gel in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and toss out the rind.


~ All Access Sporting News

Sources: AP, Shanghaist, AP, LiveStrong, AASNSports


Save a life

Be ready


Check out other things we're working on at

All Access Sporting News 👇🏼

Follow us on Twitter @AASNSports


Golf

NFL

NCAAF

Comments

  • No Comments


Where Texans look for Sports, Adventure, Health, Fitness, Travel, and even more, right here!  Follow us @AASNSports on all social media platforms. 

We are an independent news source and not affiliated with any professional sports teams. All information provided by this website is for news and informational purposes only. All Access Sporting News is not a gambling site. 



Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In