By Texans, for Texans. 🇺🇸 COME AND TAKE IT 🇺🇸
Updated Sunday, November 17, 2019, 1:33 PM CT
Kansas City vs L.A. Chargers
When: 8:15 PM ET, Monday, November 18, 2019
Where: Estadio Azteca, Mexico City
TV: ESPN (8:15 PM ET): Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland, Lisa Salters (field reporter)
RADIO: Westwood One: Kevin Kugler, Brian Griese, Amber Theoharis (field reporter)
SIRIUS: 81 (KC), 83 (LAC) | XM: 225 (KC), 226 (LAC)
LINE: Chiefs -4. O/U: 52
The Kansas City Chiefs' once-sizable advantage in the AFC West has been trimmed to the narrowest of margins following losses in four of their last six games. The Chiefs look to stem the tide on Monday night when they venture south of the border to Mexico City to face the Los Angeles Chargers.
Patrick Mahomes didn't miss a beat in his return from a two-game absence due to a dislocated right kneecap, completing a career-high 36 passes for 446 yards and three touchdowns on Sunday. Unfortunately for the reigning NFL Most Valuable Player, the impressive afternoon was saddled with a loss following a blocked field goal in the waning moments of Kansas City's 35-32 setback to Tennessee. The Chiefs' lead atop the AFC West rests at a half-game over Oakland, with Los Angeles residing two back after a 26-24 setback to the Raiders on Nov. 7 and fully aware of the magnitude of this matchup. "I don’t think desperation,” Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers told the Los Angeles Daily News. "I think urgency. Any other word you can think of ... I don’t think we feel desperate, although we know how crucial this game is."
ABOUT THE CHIEFS (6-4): Tyreek Hill seamlessly shuffled from catching passes from backup Matt Moore to Mahomes last week to become the first player in franchise history to record at least 140 receiving yards and a touchdown in consecutive games. Hill followed up his 140-yard effort in a 26-23 win over Minnesota on Nov. 3 with a career-best 11 catches for 157 yards against the Titans. Damien Williams, who saw the speedy Hill accompany him on the latter portion of a 91-yard touchdown run versus the Vikings, had a season-high 24 touches result in 109 scrimmage yards (77 rushing, 32 receiving) against Tennessee. The 27-year-old had 123 yards (74 receiving, 49 rushing) and two touchdowns in a 29-28 setback to the Chargers on Dec. 13, a decision that snapped Kansas City's nine-game winning streak in the series.
ABOUT THE CHARGERS (4-6): A healthy dose of Melvin Gordon against Kansas City's 31st-ranked rushing defense (148.1 yards per game) could be just what Los Angeles needs to control the clock and keep Mahomes and Co. on the sideline. The 26-year-old rushed for a season-high 108 yards and a score last week, boosting his touchdown total to five (four rushing, one receiving) in his past four contests. On the other side of the ball, defensive ends Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram have combined for nine sacks in the same four-game stretch. Ingram, in fact, had 1.5 sacks of Mahomes in the meeting last December to boost his total to 5.5 in his past four encounters with the Chiefs.
1. Kansas City is expected to see the returns of key cogs along the offensive line, namely OTs Eric Fisher (groin) and Cam Erving (ankle) as well as OG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (ankle).
2. Rivers tossed three interceptions last week -- including one returned for a touchdown -- to drop the Chargers' turnover ratio to minus-6, which is tied for the fifth worst in the league.
3. The Chiefs were initially scheduled to play in Mexico City last season before field conditions at Estadio Azteca prompted the NFL to reschedule their game against the Rams to Los Angeles.
• QB PATRICK MAHOMES completed career-high 36 of 50 passes (72 pct.) for 446 yards with 3 TDs vs. 0 INTs for 119.2 rating last week. Has 8,007 career pass yards, most by QB in 1st 25 starts in NFL history. Has 6 TDs vs. 0 INTs for 122.2 rating in 2 career games vs. LAC. Aims for his 7th in row vs. division with 105+ rating.
• RB DAMIEN WILLIAMS had 109 scrimmage yards (77 rush, 32 rec.) last week. Aims for 3rd in row with 100+ scrimmage yards. Has rush TD in 2 of past 3. Had 123 scrimmage yards (career-high 74 rec., 49 rush) & 2 rush TDs in last meeting. Has 2 TDs in 2 of past 3 vs. LAC. RB DARREL WILLIAMS had TD catch in last meeting.
• WR TYREEK HILL had career-high 11 catches for 157 yards & TD last week, 4th career game with 150+ rec. yards. Aims for 3rd in row with 6+ catches, 140+ rec. yards & TD catch. Had 7 catches for 169 yards & 2 TDs in last road meeting. Aims for 3rd in row on road vs. LAC with rec. TD. Rookie WR MECOLE HARDMAN had 63-yard TD catch last week. Aims for 4th in row with rec. TD. TE TRAVIS KELCE had 7 catches for 75 yards & TD in Week 10. Had 7 catches in last meeting.
• DT CHRIS JONES had 2 sacks & FF last week, 5th career game with 2+ sacks. Aims for 3rd in row with sack. Had 2.5 sacks & PD in last meeting. DE FRANK CLARK has 3 sacks, 2 FF & PD in past 3. Had sack in his last game vs. LAC (11/4/18 with Sea.). DE EMMANUEL OGBAH has sack in 3 of past 4.
• QB PHILIP RIVERS leads NFL with 2,816 pass yards in 2019. Has 2+ TD passes & 90+ rating in 5 of past 6 games at home vs. division. Has 6,870 career pass yards vs. KC, most vs. any opponent.
• RB MELVIN GORDON rushed for a season-high 108 yards & TD last week, his 9th career game with 100+ rush yards. Has 5 TDs (4 rush, 1 rec.) in his past 4 & aims for his 5th in row with TD. Had 166 scrimmage yards (102 rec., 64 rush) in his last game vs. KC & aims for his 3rd in row vs. KC with 150+ scrimmage yards. RB AUSTIN EKELER had rec. TD last week. Had 126 scrimmage yards (87 rec., 39 rush) & rec. TD in his last game vs. KC. Leads RBs in catches (57), rec. yards (559) & rec. TDs (6) in 2019.
• WR KEENAN ALLEN led team with 8 catches for 68 rec. yards last week. Had 108 rec. yards & rec. TD in his last game vs. KC. Has 8+ catches in 4 of his past 5 games at home vs. division. WR MIKE WILLIAMS had 7 catches for 76 rec. yards & 2 rec. TDs in last meeting. TE HUNTER HENRY had TD catch in Week 10. Aims for his 3rd in row at home with 7+ catches.
• DE MELVIN INGRAM had 2 sacks & PD last week, his 5th career game with 2+ sacks. Has 5.5 sacks in his past 4 vs. KC. Aims for his 3rd in row with 1.5+ sacks. DE JOEY BOSA has 5.5 sacks in his past 4. Aims for his 3rd in row at home vs. KC with sack. Rookie LB DRUE TRANQUILL led team with career-high 14 tackles last week.
Ran DeBord - All Access Sporting News
Some content sourced and verified from: AASNSports; ESPN; Gracenotes; FieldLevelMedia
Travel and Adventure
College Football News
More NFL news
More Travel and Adventure News
More Health News
More College Football News
More Golf News
Sports, Adventure, Health, Fitness, Travel, and even more Sports, right here! Follow us @AASNSports on all social media platforms. You'll always find something interesting to talk about every time you visit!
All Access Sporting News is not a gambling site. All information provided by this website is for news and entertainment purposes only.
We are always looking for new products to review for our readers. Got something you want us to take a look at? Contact us!