Updated April 1, 4:15 PM CT
Sunday, August 2017 08:27:46
MONEY Mayweather $$$
Floyd Mayweather Jr. put on a show in the last fight of his spectacular career. Conor McGregor didn't do so badly, either. Mayweather figured out a 50th opponent Saturday night, letting McGregor have the early rounds before stalking him late and leaving the mixed martial artist defenseless and exhausted on the ropes in the 10th round. It was a smashing end to a career that earned Mayweather more money than any fighter before him—including an estimated $200 million for his last bout, reports the AP. "I think we gave the fans what they wanted to see," Mayweather said. "I owed them for the (Manny) Pacquiao fight." Mayweather battered McGregor around the ring in the later rounds, finally stopping him at 1:05 of the 10th with a flurry of punches that forced referee Robert Byrd to stop the fight.
Mayweather methodically broke McGregor down after a slow start to score his first real stoppage in nearly a decade. In a fight so intriguing that it cost $10,000 for ringside seats, McGregor turned in a respectable performance for his first fight, but Mayweather's experience and ring savvy paid off. "I was a little fatigued," he said. "He was composed in there, that's what 50 pro fights can give you." McGregor's challenge of Mayweather was fueled by social media and turned into a spectacle as the two fighters promoted the bout. It figured to make him $100 million or so, and gave McGregor a name and brand outside of the UFC. Mayweather ran his record to 50-0, surpassing Rocky Marciano's 49-0 record. "This is my last fight for sure. 50-0 sounds good, I'm looking forward to going into the Hall of Fame," Mayweather said. "I picked the best dance partner to do it with.
Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping squaring off at UFC 217
After both Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping announced they'd be squaring off at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden earlier this month, the promotion finally confirmed on Saturday the pair will be headlining the star-studded card.
St-Pierre, a former welterweight champion, will be returning from a layoff dating back to November 2013 to challenge Bisping for the middleweight crown. The pair were initially targeted to meet at UFC 213 during International Fight Week, only for injuries sustained by both fighters to prompt president Dana White to pull the plug on the matchup.
White later revealed St-Pierre would be challenging for the strap that once graced his waist in his return to the Octagon, a plan White scrapped himself after reigning champ Tyron Woodley submitted a subpar performance in his win over Demian Maia at UFC 214. The incessant developments didn't keep St-Pierre or Bisping from campaigning for the matchup, one that will likely net "The Count" the biggest payday of his 11-year UFC career.
Bisping won the belt with a first-round KO of Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 and hasn't fought since defending it in a unanimous decision over Dan Henderson at UFC 204 last October.
The November card will feature a bantamweight title bout between incumbent champ Cody Garbrandt and former titleholder TJ Dillashaw in the co-main event.
Friday, July 2017 07:28:34
Cormier, Jones make weight at UFC 214 weigh-ins
There were no dramatics at the official weigh-ins for UFC 214 on Friday morning.
Defending light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier was the first to hit the scales and came in on point at 205 pounds, while Jon Jones came in at 204 pounds minutes later. That officially cleared another hurdle one day before the rematch between the bitter foes.
Meanwhile, Renan Barao needed the shield of a towel in order to strip down to make weight.
Weigh-ins are still ongoing. The early results can be seen below:
Daniel Cormier (205) vs. Jon Jones (204)
Tyron Woodley () vs. Demian Maia (170)
Cris Cyborg () vs. Tonya Evinger (145)
Robbie Lawler () vs. Donald Cerrone (170)
Jimi Manuwa () vs. Volkan Oezdemir ()
Ricardo Lamas (145) vs. Jason Knight (145)
Aljamain Sterling (139) vs. Renan Barao (140)
Renato Moicano (146) vs. Brian Ortega ()
Andre Fili () vs. Calvin Kattar ()
Fight Pass Preliminaries
Kailin Curran (115) vs. Alexandra Albu (115)
Eric Shelton (126) vs. Jarred Brooks (126)
Joshua Burkman () vs. Drew Dober ()
UFC 214 takes place Saturday night at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
The ninth season of CNN's "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown" kicked off Sunday night with the host exploring the Latino communities of Los Angeles and sharing a meal with Nick and Nate Diaz. The brothers chatted with Bourdain over seafood and beer, explaining how they made the switch to a healthier diet after growing up on macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, and ramen. Both laughed when Bourdain, who's a big UFC fan, admitted that the first - and last - thing he does in L.A. is stop at In-N-Out Burger.
June 2017 06:18:44
Boxer who sparred with McGregor gives MMA star 'no chance' of beating Mayweather
Chris van Heerden can gauge Conor McGregor's boxing savvy better than most, and he's not particularly impressed with what he's seen.
The world-ranked boxer recently released video of he and "The Notorious" sparring back in August 2016, and as he told ESPN on Friday, he made the footage public to dispel the notion the Irishman will give Floyd Mayweather - a four-division world champion - all he can handle in a much-hyped crossover fight later this summer.
"Because people are tweeting and talking and telling me that Mayweather has his hands full landing on Conor McGregor," van Heerden said, according to MMA Fighting. "I'm a professional fighter - boxer. And I'm standing up for the sport. I was just making it very clear that, don't be ridiculous. If I could land, don't tell me Floyd Mayweather is not gonna land."
People telling me Mayweather will have his hands full trying to land on McGregor -STOP IT! I respect McGregor BUT i ain't Floyd and i landed pic.twitter.com/gd4dFi3XUU
— Chris van Heerden (@TheHeat001) June 14, 2017
Van Heerden got some rounds in with McGregor in the UFC champ's preparation for an August rematch with Nate Diaz, and while he won't say a victory for "The Notorious" is impossible, the career pugilist wouldn't budge any further in his belief that Mayweather is anything but a lock.
"It would be ridiculous for me to say he has no opportunity, he has no chance," Van Heerden said. "Yes, he has a slight chance of pulling it off. He's a fighter, he's a mixed martial artist. He can land one big punch. It can happen. This is fighting, it's two men in the ring. The opportunity is there. He doesn't have a zero chance of beating or causing the biggest upset in the sport. Yes, he has. In my opinion and I'm gonna stick by it and I'm not afraid to say it, there's no way he's beating Mayweather.
"I have nothing but respect for McGregor. There's no bad blood. I think (he's) phenomenal. And being a southpaw, it's gonna work in his favor. He's got the power to do it. I wasn't fazed by his power, I wasn't hurt. But again, we didn't have 10-ounce gloves on and he's got some small chance of causing an upset."
The 29-year-old van Heerden wasn't above trying to capitalize on all the hullabaloo surrounding the blockbuster bout, however, capping his appearance with a call to fight 39-fight veteran Lamont Peterson on its undercard - which will be booked by Mayweather Promotions and comprised solely of boxing matches.
McGregor meets Mayweather in a 12-round boxing tilt at 154 pounds on Aug. 26 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Mayweather believes 'anything can happen' in fight vs. McGregor
Despite the enormous gap in professional boxing experience between them, Floyd Mayweather isn't counting out Conor McGregor.
In a clip posted by TMZ Sports, Mayweather was asked to respond to predictions that the UFC's marquee star wouldn't last long in a traditional boxing match, especially against a champion on the level of Mayweather.
The 40-year-old legend called McGregor a legitimate opponent, pointing to his highlight reel of knockouts inside the Octagon.
"Every time he goes out there and he defeats fighters, he's standing up defeating fighters," said Mayweather. "He's in a boxing position and he's beating fighters. When he did get defeated he was on the ground. So it's obvious Conor McGregor is a better stand-up fighter than he is a grappler.
"Does he have a good chance of upsetting Floyd Mayweather? I can't say, but anything can happen in the sport of boxing or contact sports period."
Mayweather and McGregor have traded shots back and forth on social media and their camps are currently embroiled in negotiations for a crossover bout. Both stand to make an enormous amount of money should the fight ever come together, and the last thing Mayweather is going to do is downplay the intrigue that "The Notorious" would bring to the ring.
"I can't sit right here and knock Conor McGregor," said Mayweather. "I'm not here to knock a guy - he's the second-biggest name (in combat sports). He went out there and done what he had to do, it's obvious he's done something right thus far to get to the point where he's at so I'm not here to badmouth him.
"And I've been off for a couple of years and I'm 40 years old now. He's still in his 20s, I'm in my 40s now. So that could play a major key, we don't know, and he's a heavy hitter, so we'll just see. Has he signed a contract yet? Absolutely not. In due time, we'll just see."
Evangelista 'Cyborg' Santos says he suffered fractured skull in loss
Jim Harris - AASNSports
07/19/2016 9:30 AM CT
Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos told MMA Fighting that he suffered a fractured skull during his loss to Michael Page at Saturday's Bellator 158 in London.
In the second round of their welterweight bout at the O2 Arena, Santos was dropped by Page with a flying knee to the head. "I'm under observation now and will have surgery in the United States," Santos told MMA Fighting. "I had a serious injury, but Bellator is giving me all the support I need."
His ex-wife, MMA fighter Cris "Cyborg" Justino, took to Instagram to ask for thoughts and prayers.
Where Texans look for Sports, Adventure, Health, Fitness, Travel, and even more, right here! Follow us @AASNSports on all social media platforms.
We are an independent news source and not affiliated with any professional sports teams. All information provided by this website is for news and informational purposes only. All Access Sporting News is not a gambling site.